|Aquatic Safety Night at the Padres on 15Aug
Go To: PADRES.COM/LIFEGUARD Enter Code: JRLIFEGUARD to Purchase Your Tickets at 50% off.
Dear Friends of the San Diego Junior Lifeguard Foundation,
During the off season the Foundation has been very busy obtaining grants and planning for the summer of 2013. The Board members are excited and the energy level is high. Our major focus is on the Junior Lifeguard (JG) program and what we can do to enhance the program.
- This summer SCUBA will be part of the A Level JG program,
- The Grommet program for 7-8 year olds was a big success last year and it is being expanded,
- The Ocean Science Education program is expanding allowing C&B a chance to learn about the ocean sciences and spend a whole day at the beach, OSE ½ day JGs ½ day.
- Ocean competitions for all the JGs this summer. In addition to a competition day the Foundation will put on the Junior Lifeguard Ocean Festival in August in conjunction with the Pancake Breakfast, sponsored by Restaurant Depot.
- The Padres and the Foundation are teaming up again this summer for Aquatic Safety night at the Padre game. All JGs who wear their uniforms will be allowed on the field again this year. If you participated last year you know what a great night that was.
- Of course the OB Pier Jump Fund Raiser will be happening again this year. Come on out, jump the pier with your children and use the picture for your holiday card.
It has been a very exciting Fall and Winter for the Foundation. We have been granted four major awards based on proposals we have submitted.
- The first is from the Las Patronas organization. They have donated a small utility vehicle ($22,500) to the Foundation which we will receive in January 2014. The vehicle will be used for Waterproofing San Diego, a three pronged approach to provide aquatic safety education, free swim lessons and a day at the beach for San Diego youth.
- The second award of $22,000 is a Whaletail Grant from the California Coastal Commission. This grant will allow 40 inner city youth to participate in the Foundation’s Ocean Science Education (OSE) program. This program allows Junior Lifeguards a chance to spend the whole day at the beach, Junior Guard for half a day and OSE for the other half.
- The third major grant is from the Meyer family for the Memorial Blue Swim Team allowing these inner city youth the chance to participate in a competitive swim team at a reduced fee.
- The Foundation is also in receipt of other grants including a $5,000 grant from SDG&E, with assistance from the Jackie Robinson YMCA and Foundation monies, which allowed the Monarch School for the homeless participation in eight free swim lessons back in the fall. Your donation of swim suits, rash guards and hats as part of the Wear it Share it program started by our very own JG, Catherine Hanczor, were given to the Monarch School kids as almost all of them did not have towels or suits. This type of effort is part of the Foundation and City Lifeguard program called Waterproofing San Diego.
Our board of directors has been active talking with the City Fire Department Lifeguard Service about improvements needed for the Junior Lifeguards and have also actively solicited City Council support. To that end we are finalizing a Memorandum of Understanding between the Foundation and the City to formalize our partnership. As part of these discussions we are promoting the need for a new Junior Lifeguard Headquarters. We have started a Capital campaign to raise money to build the new HQ with the full support of Lifeguard Management and the Council Members we have spoken with. As each of you are aware as you sit in traffic dropping off or picking up your children each day at Junior Guards, Santa Clara Point is impacted. The same is true for the operational facilities the Junior Lifeguard administration and instructors work in each day. I relate it to working out of a big closet and the instructors and management of the world’s best Junior Lifeguard program deserve better.
The Foundation cannot do any of our efforts without your support. Through fundraising efforts we have raised over $300,000 since our inception in 2009. We have impacted over 8,000 San Diego youth over that time with Waterproofing San Diego and the Junior Lifeguard program. The Foundation is always in need of financial assistance but you can also help by volunteering your time. We have a critical need for assistance with media relations, volunteer coordination, fund raising, and general help with our summer fund raisers. If you are interested please call Diane Nelson, our outreach coordinator, at 858 232 2667. We always have a great deal of fun and you will find your time well spent and rewarding.
Looking forward to an awesome summer in 2013!
Yours in Lifesaving,
President and CEO
San Diego Junior Lifeguard Foundation