San Diego Junior Lifeguard Pier Jump 2nd Session August 11, 2014 was a success (Flyer)
KGTV news story
See San Diego’s Mayor, current and former City Councilmembers and chief of Police took the jump - Funds raised are used for Waterproofing San Diego (Press Release)
2014 summer program information – Click here
Dear Friends of the San Diego Junior Lifeguard Foundation,
What an amazing summer so far! We have a sold out Junior Guard program again this summer with over 1400 youth participating including over 100 scholarships to under served youth.
- Ocean Science Education kids had a great time during the first session.
- The Grommet program continues to be an outstanding success with over 200 seven and eight year olds having the summer of their young lives learning about aquatic safety in the ocean and bay environments.
- Our San Diego City Junior Lifeguards won the Cal State Games in Coronado in early July.
- Over 100 ‘public’ OB Pier jumpers faced their fear and donated to Waterproofing San Diego drowning prevention in the first Pier Jump on 8 July.
- A junior lifeguard caught in kelp and seaweed at Windansea Beach and subsequently drown over the July 4th weekend was rescued by people on the beach and his brother, a fellow Junior Lifeguard, and after CPR by City Lifeguards is alive today. We are honored to have him jump off the OB Pier on 11 August. Mayor Faulconer, Chief of Police Zimmerman, Council members Zapf and Sherman, and Lifeguard Chief Wurts are scheduled to jump off the pier as well.
- Waterproofing San Diego has provided over a thousand free swim lessons, opened the Barrio Station pool for the months of July/August for the local community and Monarch School for the Homeless. Our program has reached out to over 15,000 youth and adults with aquatic safety education, and provided 100 adaptive PE swim lessons at Martin Luther Memorial Pool among many other activities for drowning prevention.
Save the following dates:
OB Pier Jump August 11
Swim 24 Challenge 30-31 August (form a team now)
Junior Lifeguard Gala on October 25th
More information at www.sdjgfoundation.org
The Foundation cannot provide drowning prevention and aquatic safety through our Waterproofing San Diego program without the continued support of people passionate about saving lives from drowning. On behalf of a very hard working Foundation Board of Directors we thank you for your backing. Your continued support in the form of donations and your volunteer time to the Foundation are greatly appreciated!
Yours in Lifesaving
San Diego Junior Lifeguard Foundation
President and CEO