2015 Summer Program Information:
Dear Friends of the San Diego Junior Lifeguard Foundation,
The Foundation Board of Directors has been busy obtaining grants and planning for the summer of 2015. We have a number of new Board members and we are all very excited about our summer plans and new programs. As always, we focus on the Junior Lifeguard (JG) program and what we can do to enhance the program.
- SCUBA will be part of the A Level JG program paid for by the Foundation.
- The Grommet program for 7-8 year olds was a big success last year and it is being expanded this season.
- The Ocean Science Education program will focus on the Level C, 9-11 year olds with a chance to learn about the ocean sciences and spend a whole day at the beach; OSE ½ day and JGs ½ day. Sign up for OSE at the same time you sign up for the JG program.
- We will hold an ocean competition for all of the JGs this summer. The Junior Lifeguard Ocean Festival competition day will be held on 7 August with all the County Junior Guard Programs. The Foundation will sponsor the Willie Calabrese Memorial Run Swim Run starting at 4:30 PM, and open to the public.
- Of course the OB Pier Jump Fundraiser will be happening again this year on July 6th and August 17. Come on out, jump the pier with your children and use the picture for your holiday card.
Waterproofing San Diego reached out to over 10,000 people in San Diego in 2014. We also received a grant of $15,000 from SDG&E which the Foundation will use to support swim lessons for the Monarch School for the homeless and the local Barrio Logan neighborhood by opening the Barrio Station pool for two months in July and August. Your donation of swim suits, rash guards and hats as part of the Wear it Share it program started by our very own JG, Catherine Hanczor, were given to the Monarch School kids as almost all of them did not have towels or suits. This type of effort is part of the Foundation and City Lifeguard program called Waterproofing San Diego.
The Foundation, through our grant process with Waterproofing San Diego, gave out over $85,000 for free swim lessons, bringing inner city and underserved youth to the beach to learn about ocean safety, and presenting aquatic safety education to city schools and the military.
Our board of directors has been actively talking with the City Fire Department Lifeguard Service about improvements needed for the Junior Lifeguards and have also actively solicited City Council support. We have started a Capital campaign to raise money to build the new HQ with the full support of Lifeguard Management and the Council Members we have spoken with. As each of you are aware as you sit in traffic dropping off or picking up your children each day at Junior Guards, Santa Clara Point is impacted. The same is true for the operational facilities the Junior Lifeguard administration and instructors work in each day. I relate it to working out of a big closet and the instructors and management of the world’s best Junior Lifeguard program deserve better.
Another major effort underway is the Swim 24Challenge. This event will be held at the UCSD Canyonview pool Complex on 29 and 30 of August 2015. This will be a fundraiser helping the local pool sponsoring organization and our Waterproofing San Diego Program. Put a 6 or 12 member team together, swim for 24 hours in a team relay event and raise money for the Foundation and downing prevention. Look for more information on the Foundation website in the weeks to come. We raised over $60,000 dollars at last year’s Swim 24Challenge. Swim on a team or volunteer to help.
The Foundation cannot do any of our efforts without your support. We have impacted over 25,000 San Diego youth since our inception with Waterproofing San Diego and the Junior Lifeguard program. We are also involved with the San Diego Unified School District working to provide swim lessons for all third through sixth graders in the City. We are also working on Pools for Schools building 10 new pools at City Schools over the next five years.
The Foundation is always in need of financial assistance, but you can also help by volunteering your time. We have a critical need for volunteers, fund raising, and general help with our summer fund raisers. If you are interested please call Diane Nelson, our Outreach Coordinator, at 858 232 2667. We always have a great deal of fun and you will find your time well spent and rewarding.
Looking forward to an awesome year in 2015!
Yours in Lifesaving,
President and CEO
San Diego Junior Lifeguard Foundation